Graham Area United Way began on March 3, 1956 in a meeting of the civic committee of the Graham Chamber of Commerce; Dr. J.W. Spears stated that this committee had an extensive program outline by Bruce Street, Chamber President, concerning the need for a community chest program. Over the next few months, this committee surveyed the community and all civic clubs about forming this program and received almost 100% approval, thus creating the Graham Community Chest Fund.
Today the Graham Area United Way has over 250+ volunteers from the Executive Board, Board of Directors, Allocation Board, Campaign Organization Cabinet, packet workers, public speakers, and individuals from businesses that help with employee pledges & employee programs. The majority of Graham’s most prominent citizens have served one time or another on the GAUW board.
The needs in our community have changed over the years, but Graham Area United Way funds still stay in the Graham Community where the money raised helps our friends and neighbors.
Please click here to learn more about the history of Graham Area United Way.